Awash in Squash
November - December challenge
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Thursday, November 19, 2009
I love acorn squash. It’s so cute and hardy and can be cooked in so many ways! Growing up, my parents used to make stuffed squash at least twice a month. While many people stuff squash with sausage, you’ll be happy to know that you can stuff squash with just about anything! You just need to decide if you’re looking for a savory or a sweet dish.
1. A grain. Think brown rice, couscous, bulgar, barley, quinoa, even a firm polenta.
2. A crunch. Nuts or seeds, to taste!
3. Herbs and spices. For savory, think thyme, sage, oregano, hot pepper.
4. Vegetables. For savory, think peppers, garlic, tomatoes (or sauce) hot peppers, etc.
1. A grain. See above.
2. A crunch. A crunch. Nuts or seeds, or both!
3. Herbs and spices. For sweet, think cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, brown sugar, ginger, cardomom,, brown sugar, honey.
4. Fruit. For sweet, think dried fruits and berries (cranberries, apricots, raisin etc.) and fresh chopped apples, celery etc.
For a recipe for the stuffed squash pictured above, go HERE.
Challenge: Awash in Squash
Monday, November 16, 2009
If your pantry is anything like mine, it’s filled with squash. I’ve extended my CSA for the next two months, and am expecting many greens, roots, and even more squash! I love squash, and my classic squash recipes, but when you’re faced with so much, it’s nice to have some new recipes to try. This month send us your favorite winter squash recipes and photos - creative, tasty and classic. We’ll all benefit from the bounty of the season!